Thursday, January 04, 2007

2006 Year in Review

1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?

I snorkeled for the first time, off the coast of Cozumel, and after I nearly drowned, thanks to an ill-fitting mask and my sweet
Feller had to come to my rescue...I LOVED it! I wish all the coral had not been destroyed from the hurricane the year before but we still saw some really cool fish. We both are ready to return.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions,
and will you make more for next year?

I do not usually make resolutions as I see them as an invitation to fail and become discouraged, But I set some goals through out the year and I am happy to say I met or almost met most of them. This year, I am aiming for getting in better physical shape and becoming more organized. This may be harder to do since I will probably be setting up a second home in another state...so two homes to keep straight. Eh, I won't think about THAT right now.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, I had the joy of meeting my 7 week old great niece and 11 week old great-GREAT nephew at Christmas. Both babies were born in Detroit but my great nephew has moved his little family back home to Arkansas so I will get to see little Jagur more, I hope, when I go home for visits.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

I did not lose any family this year, which is a blessing since I lost my Mom the year before. However, a special friend, Winthrop Rockefeller, Lt. Gov of Arkansas, passed away and it made me very sad. He was too young and the last time I saw him, he was still healthy, vibrant, funny, and as charming as ever. I treasure the last picture made of us together. My Feller was the photographer and we recalled what a genuine person Win was......he is missed.
And.......
She was not a human person, but my sweet little Patches had to be put down this fall. I adored that little dog and thought my heart would break for several weeks. Patches got me through some pretty dark spots in my life and her absence is acute some days. She was my precious Lumpy Dumpy.......I miss her so.

5. What countries did you visit?

We went to Mexico this year and Paris the year before. We hope to go to Italy this year if Feller can get off work.

6. What would you like to have in 2007
that you lacked in 2006?

More organization, more free time (which is silly since I do not have a public job and should be able to just back up and say "No work today!), more friends.

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched
upon your memory, and why?

I do not really have any specific dates since nothing earth shattering happened to me last year. However, my daughter and I both had milestone birthdays so I guess I will say Jan 10 and May 19.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Achieving a level of success in my home based business and being a better person/partner to my Feller.


9. What was your biggest failure?

Working too much and letting my home go. My cottage business has taken over my home and I MUST eliminate that.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Unfortunately, I was plagued by one or another complaints a lot of the year. I really need to take better care of my health. Feller does a great job taking care of me but since he is now living in another state, I cannot afford to have some of the same issues recur. I am getting old...parts wear out....but I still think I am 25 years old. Reality check!!

11. What was the best thing you bought?

I did not buy it but Feller bought me a new car to replace the one I literally drove until it would not move. I love my new ride and am so very appreciative of it and it is MINE.....no car payments.....just get in it and go!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

I would like to say my daughter but she still worries the heck out of me. I am praying this is the year maturity finally takes up residence with her and the wild-life, carefree college mind set settles down. {Please God, I am just praying....}
I would have to say Feller once more. After a bumpy start, we are finally settling into a much more giving and peaceful place. We are both very determined and head strong and each of us have lived on our own for so long, we have had to adjust to sharing space. We are so much better now.....and then he moves again. *sheesh*

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The one person I called friend here. Money is indeed the root of all evil and it destroyed a relationship I valued so much. Competition and greed killed it and it still hurts my heart and makes me sad but I cannot change anyone but myself and I have to accept who a person shows me they are.....even though it hurts. I miss her but she obviously did not need me as much as I needed her and I put a lot of my heart into my friendships. It hurts when they wither........

14. Where did most of your money go?

Business related expenses and my daughter, who always seems to live beyond her means. I have been letting her know she is about to be on her own and she better learn to stay out of the malls. I also help out my sis and her family now that he cannot work due to injuy.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Um, nothing really got me going that much. Travel does it for me so I would have to say our cruise trip to Mexico and our week in Boston.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?

The only one that really stands out to me is one of Carrie Underwood's, "Jesus Take The Wheel". Not only does she have a beautiful voice, the message is so true and one we all need to hear.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
c) richer or poorer?richer


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

More R & R with Feller while he had the whole summer off. We live near two lakes, we have three boats, and none of them got wet all summer. That is just pathetic.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Work. And, I work on the computer so I now have PC butt.....I need to get that taken care of.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

I went home to Arkansas and saw my Baby Girl and my sister's large family. I got to meet the 2 new babies and a new great niece in law, my nephew's serious girlfriend. We had such a lovely time and it warmed my heart to be with my family. I just wish Feller could have been there too.......

21. Did you fall in love in 2006?

I fell back in love with My Love......and it is truly better the second time around.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

I have several I like: ER, American Idol, Survivor, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy.... I'm shallow, I admit it. My all time favorite, makes-me-laugh-till-I-snort: America's Funniest Videos. I LOVE that show and it guarantees me a belly laugh a day. I guess I just love slap stick and real life comedy.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t
hate this time last year?

I don't hate anyone but I have a great heart hurt from one person and sadly, I don't think she is even aware of how much her actions wounded me.

25. What was the best book you read?

I did not read a book last year.....really. How totally loser can I be? I started several, finished none. I'm telling you, all I did was WORK. When I was not working, I was recovering. Ask Feller....I was a machine.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?

This past year? Hum....well......is none an answer? Truly, I guess it would have to be the CD's my daughter makes me. I have lost touch with all new music since she went to college but she makes CD's for me and I always love her selections. I am such a boring fuddy duddy.

27. What did you want and get?

A new car.......got it.......love it! It has POWER! So much so, I got a speeding ticket coming home from Arkansas after Christmas. Talk a post-holiday let down. *jeez louise*

28. What did you want and not get?

A new cell phone of my very own. Have to tell you - the longest, worst, on-going battle the Feller and I have is his stubbornness over the cell phone issue. (besides the fact that he is a such a tight wad) I am using his. He insists that is acceptable........but it is not and we have one argument after another over it. There is no simple solution so it just drags on always.

29. What movies did you see - favorite?

I did not enter a movie theater all year. Again, I am a dull slug.

30. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?

Well, I had "The Biggie" and Feller took me to eat. We did not do a lot but I have a Trip Ticket in my drawer which will take me wherever I choose. I am still trying to decide. I also have my choice of a really nice curio cabinet waiting to be picked out. I am holding off until we get our other house since this house is full. I need it now since I have so many delightful little treasures that need a proper home but I want a nice area to display it so I am waiting to make a choice.

31. What one thing would have made your year
immeasurably more satisfying?

Organization, time management, play, exercise........and not feeling like crap nearly the whole year. I hit "The Big Mark" and my body celebrated by falling apart, one piece at a time. I am hoping it has all settled in one soft, flabby mass and will behave this year.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?

Simplify. I tried to limit new purchases and only add those things that would compliment my existing wardrobe. I did splurge on some cutesy cruise wear but that was a special thing, not a life style change. I am all about comfort and coordinating so packing for trips is easier. I like black and neutral colors and like looking put together so that is what I watch for. Plus, I am a huge bargain shopper so anything on sale that works, I buy a bunch. I have more plain white tee shirts than anyone I know...and I live in them. Really, a white tee goes with and under anything. But, only buy good ones that do not shrink or stretch out of shape. LOVE them.

32. What kept you sane?

Have not found that magic pill yet......I tend to be a goof. No, seriously, I meditate and pray a lot. I have a special place where I can look at my woods and it always medicates my soul.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I don't fancy any of them, really. I think most of them are self-absorbed and shallow. I do adore Tom Hanks but that is because I just want to hang out with him and be his buddy pal.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

Our president. The man irritates and infuriates me. I could get on a huge soap box here but won't. Let it be said, it is way past time for a change and hopefully, with someone who can speak without sounding like a backwoods idiot.

36. Who did you miss?

My Mom, my family, my daughter, my Feller when he is working, and my friends.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

Can't say I really met anyone new. I do not work outside the home, I do not have a social life in the place I live now, and don't get out much. I did meet a really nice, totally cool gal when we went on a business trip to NC. She is the wife of the Chairman of the Board for the hospital and I found out she used to live in my home town and we know some of the same people. That excites me since I may have a built in pal if I ever get to move there.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.

I re- learned that people will and can hurt you and that opening your heart to folks is risking having it broken. I have always known this but it still catches me off guard when it happens and it takes me a while to recover. I also learned that being a mom is the hardest job in the world. Well, i have known that all aong but there are times, it is a more acute lesson.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

I can't. I cannot think of a single song that sums up my year. Maybe I will edit if I get a flash of inspiration but please don't hold your breath. I do not want to be the reason anyone passes out and falls off their chair. 'K?


I tag anyone who wants to do this. Hopefully, it won't take you as long as it did me. If you do it, please leave a comment so I can read yours too!

No comments: