Sunday, March 09, 2008

San Francisco - Day Three, Part Two

It has taken me a while to continue as I have been working and blogger has been difficult. It will only let me upload one picture at a time. That takes forever!


After we left the Legion of Honor, we hopped a bus back to Fisherman's Wharf. We got off around Pier 33 and decided to ride a trolley car.
We found a stop and decided which one to get on. I kept telling the Feller I wanted "an old, original one". :0)



The one we hopped on was old, but not what I meant. And it was funny...it only took us up the street a block or two. We finally made it downtown on Market Street and got off in the Financial District where we had started the first day.


We found the trolley car turn-around and Feller was amused by the way they have to physically turn the cars around and point them back down the hill. We had found the "old" cars and I was excited to get to ride one. This was "San Francisco" and I was tickled.




Here I am, Miss Eager Beaver, at the front of the line. Couldn't wait to hop on!

Our driver was so funny and entertaining. I was pleasantly surprised how open and engaging and friendly our encounters were in California. The folks reminded me a lot of southern people. It made for such a fun trip.

I was leaning out on the running boards to get a better shot of the hills.




Wheeee! And it was about here that I sang the old Rice-A-Roni jingle....just a little....as I had promised him I would. ;-)


It was time for some more walking. We headed back toward Lombard Street. After stopping into a corner coffee shop for one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had, I was ready to tackle the steep climb up America's crookedest street! (Oh, my aching feet!)

(Just a cute flower cart that caught my eye. It reminded me of the lovely old florist carts in France.)


Look at the SLOPE of this street!



That is Coit Tower in the background.











After taking a few pictures and watching the traffic navigate that really steep hill, we had to walk back DOWN that hill. Wow.



We walked back down toward Little Italy. The irony of this teeny tiny apartment next to a nice hotel, above a cleaners, with LAUNDRY hanging out....just made me laugh.

We hopped a bus, rode down to Fisherman's Wharf and decided to partake of an early dinner once more. We both like Nonna Rose so much, it was easy to make that choice.
I looked forward to sitting down as my feet and legs were REALLY beginning to hurt and make me miserable. Maybe I will learn not to overdo it some day...but not likely.


Ummmm, clam chowder, sour dough bread, bruschetta, (pronounced [brusˈket:a]) - tasty appetizers.

(Just a note: My daughter is hostess for an Italian restaurant in the Virginia Highlands. She made brushcetta for me last summer and taught me how to make it. I have to say, hers is better than Nonna Rose's!)




Yummy shrimp salad again.




The Feller got this dish:
Sautéed Shrimp & Scallop and Salmon, Roasted Garlic, Tomato, Mushrooms with Rice

Yummmmm!


And I got this:
Sautéed Shrimp & Scallop, Roasted Garlic, Tomato, Mushrooms with Rice



Ah, another end to another fun day. Tired as I was, we had a wonderful time and were ready to rest and retire.
It was another full day - the Legion of Honor Museum, Pier 33, Market Street, trolley car ride, walking UP and DOWN Lombard Street, dinner. The Feller took it easy on me this day and I appreciated him taking care of me. *Thanks, Love!*

We snapped a few pictures on our dusk dark stroll back to the hotel. San Francisco is a beautiful, friendly city with SO much to see and do. I felt sad that we only had one day left. There was still so much I wanted to see and do!
Here are just a few "neighborhood" shots:









Look who we saw again? The Feller's pals! ;0)




See ya' later, Boys!



You see that sign in the store window behind the sea lion? Maybe I should have checked that out!


Our last day is coming soon.....

1 comment:

Bob Cleveland said...

Incidentally if you want a really weird picture, take some of the slanty ones of the side-hill houses, but put the camera level with the street, not the houses. They're a blast to look at later.